Tourism in Poonch---Go Back
Set amidst majestic snow-capped mountains, dotted with lovely lakes and meandering streams, abounding in nature's choicest gifts of fruit, flower, forests and age-old historical monuments, Poonch district offers the prospect of a vacation.A tourist would love and remember it for a long. Various tourist points of Poonch are :-
Noori Chammb associated with the name of Mughal queen Noor Jahan is famous for its scenic beauty & water fall. It is situated near Behram Galla in Surankote tehsil about 45 kms. from Poonch town. The fall of the stream gives rise to dense clouds of water vapours which engulfs the area & spread all over. The Emperor Jahangir had developed so much fancy & liking for this fall that he named it Noori Chammb after the name of his beloved queen Noor Jahan. Mughal queen used to stay here for relaxsation and bath while on way to Kashmir. She had got fixed a mirror besides the fall on the mountain wall where she used to have her make- up after the bath. The remnants of the mirror are still there.
Girgan Dhok and Lakes
It is a valley of seven lakes which is located about 70 kms. from Poonch town. Tourists during the course of their visit to Poonch should not miss the opportunity to see the lovely and beautiful seven lakes namely Sukhsar, Neelsar, Bhagsar, Katorasar, Kaldachnisar and Nandansar situated at the high altitude of 12000 ft. in the Buffliaz belt.
Nandansar is one of the biggest lake near Girgen dhok. The length of this lake is about one mile and its breadth is half a mile. These lovely lakes have their own charm which a visitor would long remember.
The foundation of historic fort building in the capital of erestwhile Poonch Riyasat, presently the headquarter of truncated Poonch district, was laid by Raja Adbul Razaq Khan in 1713 A.D. The actual construction work was started by his illustrious son Raja Rustam Khan who was a great lover of architecture and after whose name Poonch was earlier known as Rustam Nagar. Originally the Fort was planned as a composite structure for the fortification of the town as well as for housing the Royal Palace. Alyhough Raja Rustam Khan originally belonged to Rathore clan of Rajasthan, the architectural style of the Fort had distinct Mughal influence although quality of construction had not reached the perfection of better known Mughal architecture.
During the Sikh rule (1819-1846) the central block of the building was added which bears the distinct influence of Sikh architectural style.Fort building in his present style and shape owes to the benevolence of Raja Moti Singh (1850-1892) who engaged an European arcitect to design the front block of the Fort. The work done was so superb that the appearance of the fort changed into a Palace of exquisite beauty which dominates the entire town of Poonch. It was during Raja Baldev Singh's time that the fort building complex was converted into a secretariat of the kingdom after shifting the Palace to Moti Mahal.
It is a small village in a narrow valley enclosed by steep and grassy hills of no great elevation, situated near the confluence of two streams namely Gagri and Pulsta. Mandir Swami Budha Amar Nath Ji is situated in this village. Mandi is about 20 kms. from Poonch town. Due to cool climate and proximity to the poonch town, Mandi has become a favourable place for tourists to visit, in summer. Most of the people of Mandi area speak Kashmiri language
Loran is a small village 35 kms. away from Poonch town and is situated at the foot of high mountains of Pir Panjal range and is another attraction for the tourists. Loran Nallah which flows through this beautiful village makes the place more enchanting to the eyes. Loran was once the capital of Poonch state under Hindu rulers upto 1542 A.D. It was then known as Loran-Kote. There are ruins of the Lohar Kote fort which was once called the Gateway of Kashmir.
Nandishool is a beautiful water fall about 12 km. from Loran and 6 Km. from Sultan Pathri. Water comes from Pir Panchal and fall on a glacier. It is about 150 feet high fall. One tourist hut is constructed by Rural Development Department near Nandishool.
Surankote is a small village situated on the banks of river suran and has very charming valley surronded by lofty peaks which are covered with snow during winter and is popularly called Pahalgam of Poonch. In Rajatarangini, this town was described as Sawernik in the past. Nearly in 1036 A.D. there was a big fort called Kote which ultimately changed to its present name of Surankote.
It is situated at the foot hill of 8,600 feet high Rattan Peak on the historic Mughal Road in Poonch. Behramgala is a small plateau surronded by mountains and forests. It is near the confluence of Parnai & Thata Pani streams which further adds to its otherwise scenic and natural beauty. It is about 40 kms. from Poonch town.
Dehra-Gali 45 kms from Poonch town is another attraction for the tourists owing to its salubrious climate, thick forests, cool breeze and enchanting view of surrounding hills, situated at a height of about 6300 feet.
Land of Poonch not only attracts the lovers of nature, it also attracts the religious pilgrims. Peoples from outside poonch visits the land for religious obedience at various religious places. Budha Amarnath Mandi, Gurudwara Nangali Sahib, Gurudwara Deri Sahib, Ziarat Sain Illahi Bakhsh Sahib, Battalkote, Mandi and many more.
The photographs shown in this page are contributed by Maharajkar Singh Isher, Everest Mountering Club Rajouri.